Director of DevelopmentCompany: The Naples Players, Inc.
Date Posted: April 20, 2017
About The Naples Players
The Naples Players is is a nationally recognized community theatre company located in Naples, Florida. The company was founded January 19, 1953 and performs in the Sugden Community Theatre in downtown Naples. It has been named the "Best Live Theatre" in Southwest Florida (including professional theaters) 14 times by the readers poll of The Naples Daily News. Its programs include performances on the main stage, studio productions, and KidzAct productions. It provides education programs for children and adults and involves 500 volunteers in its work. The Naples Players’ annual budget is approximately $2 million.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the DOD will work closely with the Board as well as key staff leadership. The DOD will spearhead all efforts related to fundraising with a particular focus on cultivating current donors, growing the number of donors and substantially building the major gifts program.
The right candidate will be well organized, self-directed and have excellent people skills. S/he will be able to take the lead on cultivating donors. More importantly, s/he will exhibit expertise in effectively supporting Board members as fundraisers. The Director will ensure that the development function integrates closely with the marketing and communications function of the organization.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Refine and implement a coherent development strategy, lead the execution of the plan, and ensure key goals are met. Emphasis on developing relationships with donors, subscribers, past donors and parents of our youth theater program, among others.
- Develop and implement a stewardship strategy to move donors up the giving ladder.
- Develop new ways to build the major donor prospect pipeline.
- Expand the total donor base as part of the strategy.
- Conduct prospect research and help maintain donor and prospect files including effective database management.
- Work with Board members, major donors and others to implement fundraising strategies.
- Help to design and manage events that result in financial contribution and enhance the visibility and community of The Naples Players.
- Provide staff leadership and support to arrange well placed speaking engagements and position The Naples Players as a leader in the local performing arts community.
- Provide effective reporting on development goals and results for the Executive Director, the board and the development committee including projections, potential action planning, evaluation and analysis.
- Research and write grants for program and capital support.
- Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct fundraising experience and proven success in building fundraising strategies with an emphasis on major gifts and individual giving.
- Experience with integrating communications and fundraising strategies including website and social media.
- Experience in the performing arts field is a plus.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Entrepreneurial attitude and proven success in building an effective fundraising program. Driven by results.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Sophistication and poise to speak convincingly to donors.
- Demonstrated results in support of Board fundraising.
- Ability to deliver results in a dynamic environment. Ability to quickly develop trust and confidence with colleagues, Board members and stakeholders.
- Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills.
- Comfortable using office and database technologies. Knowledge of DonorPerfect preferred.
- Commitment to The Naples Players mission, purpose and values.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Compensation is competitive and includes a strong benefit package.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to:
John Sorey, executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note in your cover letter where you saw the job announcement. Position open until filled.
The Naples Players is an EEO Employer.